October 18, 2018
The ONE SOURCE Team ventured into the rolling hills of Litchfield County, CT for an off-site corporate retreat at the enchanting Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa. We were in the woods and out of our element. It was the perfect venue for a day of reflection, assessment, and strategic planning.
Dr. Helen Rothberg facilitated the day-long event – quickly breaking through to the group with her brilliant and warm leadership. The foundation of the discussion was her book The Perfect Mix: Everything I Know About Leadership I Learned as a Bartender and her ADVICE model for leading oneself and others.
Here’s what we learned from Helen:
Action: Do more, say less. Consider “no” as an opportunity to look at things differently.
Determination: Get things done with ingenuity and civility, never stepping on someone else for a higher view.
Vision: A good manager gets things done in the dark, a leader turns the light on. People need to know what they are striving to achieve.
Integrity: Tell the truth, don’t create drama, don’t play into drama and if you do, own what is yours. Then move on.
Communication: Create understanding by being present and listening well. Remember, communication is more than just words.
Empathy: Dare to care and remember that everyone has their story.
Here’s what we learned about ourselves and the future of ONE SOURCE:
- The team did both a personal and corporate SWOT and we found that many of our individual strengths and weaknesses were aligned with with the overall strengths and weaknesses of ONE SOURCE.
- Our individual vision’s for ONE SOURCE had some common elements: passion, transparency, and success.
- Our culture differentiates us – “Raise your hand” is a phrase you’ll hear often and see in action around our office.
- We are working diligently to shift the perception of the Facility Management industry from “smoke and mirrors” to collaborative and transparent.
- Nicholas Lombardi is growing and leading the ONE SOURCE team to build what’s possible, based on what is awful in the industry.
Needless to say, it was a successful day of A.D.V.I.C.E. from Dr. Helen Rothberg! We all walked away from the 1st Annual Gateway to the Future off-site retreat with great insight and new strategies for ourselves and the future of ONE SOURCE.